Committed to ensuring safe, sustainable drinking water supplies, ecological health, and recreational enjoyment within the Central Plymouth County Water District
History and Authority
Included in the Acts of 1964 was an emergency law establishing the Central Plymouth County Water District and enabling the formation of a Commission appointed by an Advisory Board. Under its legislative mandate, the Central Plymouth County Water District Commission is empowered to
- investigate and allocate water supply sources within the District,
- study water supply needs and resources of Plymouth County and adjacent portions of Norfolk County, and
- investigate "all pertinent matters" relating to water quantity, water quality, protection of water resources, and water supply and treatment infrastructure.
The District is under the direction of a three-person Commission. Commissioners, one of whom must be a Brockton resident, are appointed by an Advisory Board to three-year, voluntary (unpaid) terms.
- Jack O'Leary is a resident of Plympton and Project Manager with The Vertex Companies. He has over 20 years of experience in civil engineering and in the design and permitting of land development projects. Term expires February 2022.
- Mark Sotir is a resident of Pembroke and Chief Compliance Officer at Barrett Distribution Centers. He also serves on the Pembroke Conservation Commission. Term expires February 2023.
- Joanne Zygmunt, Chair of the Commission, is a resident of Brockton and Senior Economic Development and Environment Planner at Old Colony Planning Council. She also serves on the Brockton Conservation Commission and is President of Village Neighborhood Association. Term expires February 2024.
Operating Principles were adopted on July 7, 2020. View PDF by clicking here.
Commissioners are appointed by an Advisory Board, which is composed of representatives from each of the eight communities in the District: Brockton, East Bridgewater, Halifax, Hanson, Kingston, Pembroke, Plympton, and Whitman. The law requires that the Advisory Board consist of "a member of the board of selectmen or other person designated by the board of selectmen of each of the towns in the district, the mayor of the city of Brockton or his designee, and a member of the city council of said city to be appointed by the mayor." Advisory Board members serve without compensation.
- Susan Nicastro, Brockton City Councilor
- Patrick Hill, DPW Director, Brockton
- Jason Trepanier, Water Superintendent, East Bridgewater
- Peter Veneto, Halifax
- Donald Howard, Water Commissioner, Hanson
- Sheila Vaughn, Selectman, Kingston, Advisory Board Chair
- Willard Boulter, Pembroke
- Carly Spencer, Plympton
- Justin Evans, Selectman, Whitman